Monday, June 12

Tutorial - Altered Double Display Card


I had an email from a lovely lady named Ann, who wanted to create a card based on a picture she found on the internet. After much fiddling, researching, measuring and many failed attempts, I think I finally managed to figure out the design, which to me, looks like an altered version of a double display card.
As you can see, it stands open beautifully making it perfect for those extra special occasions where you want your cards to be displayed for all to see. And believe it or not, it will still fold into a nice 6" x 4" card that fits perfectly into a standard envelope.


TEMPLATE

1. Begin with a horizontal piece of card stock measuring 12" x 6". For this particular card, I find it much easier to do the scoring before the cutting so I'm going to start there.


2. Following the template above, lay your card horizontally on your score board and start scoring 1" from the left hand side but just 1" down. Score again at the bottom, coming just 1" up. 

3. Now score at 2" from the left hand side, all the way from the top to the bottom. Score again at 4", all the way from the top to the bottom.

4. Start scoring at 5" from the left hand side, starting at the top and coming down just 1". Score again from the bottom, coming just 1" up.

5. Now turn your card around 180 degrees so that the left hand side is on the right. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 so that you have the same score lines on both ends of the card stock. Refer to the template to make sure all your score lines are in the correct place.


6. Time to cut. Using a trimmer or craft knife, make a cut between the bottom of the first score line right through to the bottom of the fourth score line at 5". Your cut should be horizontal and measure 1" from the top edge. Refer to the template for correct placement.

7. Make the same cut at the bottom of the card, starting at the top of the first score line and ending at the top of the fourth score line.

8. Turn your card 180 degrees and repeat steps 6 and 7 so that you have the same cuts on both ends of your card.


9. Time to fold along all the score lines. Use the photograph below to determine the placement of valley folds and mountain folds. It doesn't matter if you fold the wrong way, just push the fold back in the other direction. Press all the creases firmly with a bone folder.


10. Cut two strips of matching card stock measuring 2" x 6". These will be adhered to either end of your card to make solid panels.


11. Decorate the two strips of card stock as desired. I used some white card and pretty patterned paper.


12. Use glue or double sided tape to adhere the strips to either end of the card, taking care to keep the adhesive only on the panel indicated below. If the adhesive is placed on any of the other sections of your card it will not open properly.


13. That's it, you've completed the base! Now all that's left is to decorate the centre keeping in mind that the card is designed to stand open and show off whatever is inside.


Stamps:

24 comments:

Aunty Sue said...

Wow that is fabulous your so clever

Suze said...

This looks fabulous - another fold for me to try. BTW - are you aware that some of the folds on your tutorial tab don't link to a tutorial? Just thought I'd let you know.

Christine said...

Fabulous! Thank you so much for the template and tutorial.
X

Christine said...

Fabulous! Thank you so much for the template and tutorial.
X

Crafting Queen said...

Stunning card, thanks for the tutorial.

Nunzia Carusio said...

Love the structure and how you made it.
Thanks for the tutorial.
Nunzia

terrie said...

Great looking card and your tutorial was easy to follow....tfs

Beccy said...

Hi Suze.
The list is a "work in progress" so the links that don't go anywhere are tutorials I haven't done yet. I just keep updating the list as I find new folds. I'm trying to add at least one tutorial a month, which means it'll be a while until everything is done.
Cheers,
Beccy

Suze said...

Thanks Beccy. Some of those sound interesting by their titles so I look forward to seeing them some time in the future.

Suze said...

I have a question on the centre piece - is that adhered to the main card or sitting free inside it and balanced on the bottom pieces?

Beccy said...

Hi Suze. The centre piece is actually part of the larger card base. If you have a good look at the template you can see that the shape is made by the cutting and folding that you do. The only additional pieces that are separate from the main section are the two strips that you adhere on each side.
Cheers,
Beccy

Suze said...

Cool. Thanks for that. I'm just working my way through the tutorial now and that bit was confusing me. Hopefully I'll have the card finished in the next day or so!

Teresa said...

So pretty!

DonnaMundinger said...

Was looking for a new fold and this was it! Thanks for a fabulous tut. So happy that your measurements are in inches. Just finished cutting and folding the base now. Yea! xxD

CaroleAnn said...

Love this tutorial and I love your website - so inspirational - glad I found you - thanks to Donna above; Hugs to all

Unknown said...

I am the Ann mentioned here, it was so easy to follow, the last one I did was impossible the directions look the same but unable to follow. Thanks again Beccy xx

Beccy said...

I'm really pleased that you were able to follow the instructions Ann. Thanks again for the idea!
Cheers,
Beccy

Nunzia Carusio said...

Hallo Beccy, finally I made it. I have increased the height of 2 inches only.
If you'd like to see my versions here it is my post http://aggiasbaria.blogspot.com/2017/07/gemelle-diverse.html
thanks again for the tutorial.
Nunzia

Gloria S said...

I love what you've created. I'm the slowest crafter I know. I'll try to follow directions. If I have a problem I hope you don't mind my asking questions? I'm wafting till after the holidays. I already have too much on my plate. Thank you so much for sharing!

Beccy said...

Hi Gloria. Please feel free to ask anything you like and I'll do my best to help.
Happy holidays!
Cheers,
Beccy

Unknown said...

Just beautiful, I am new at card making and am really thankful and blessed to have found your blogspot! Thank you so much for doing all of the card examples with instructions and templates. Wow, what a blessing. Thank you so much.

Joyous said...

Just found you Beccy your cards are amazing. Having such fun going through the folds and
making experimental cards up. Thank you so much for sharing your great talents.

Beccy said...

You're very welcome Joyous, I enjoy putting the tutorials together.
Cheers,
Beccy

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your clear tutorials. I've been wanting to do a few of these folds but they were so complicated on other sites! I've made a few from your directions and they're so easy to follow.